Get Free Quotes Now!

Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions

Minnesota Car Insurance FAQ


Are There Any Minimum Requirements
For Car Insurance In Minnesota?


Yes, there are a few requirements for car insurance policies under Minnesota state law. This means that your car insurance policy must have certain types of coverage in specified amounts.


In Minnesota, you must have bodily injury liability in the amount of $30,000.00 per injured person up to $60,000.00 per accident. Bodily injury protection will pay for such things as medical expenses, lost wages, etc., in the event you are found to be at fault in an injury accident.


In addition, property damage coverage is required in Minnesota in the amount of $10,000.00. This type of car insurance coverage will pay for damage to another person’s property such as a fence, car, or home.


Minnesota also requires you to have personal injury protection in a minimum amount of $40,000.00. This coverage on your policy will pay for reasonable and necessary expenses if you or any of your passengers are injured in a car accident.


You are also required to have uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage in the amount of at least $25,000.00 per person, up to $50,000.00 per accident for any bodily injury caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.


Do I Need Collision And
Comprehensive Insurance Coverage?


While not required by Minnesota law, it may be a good idea to include comprehensive and collision coverage on your insurance policy.



The choice to have collision and comprehensive coverage is yours. However, it may be a good investment if you have a newer car. In addition, if your car is leased or financed, your bank or other lending institution may require that you carry comprehensive and collision coverage.


What Is Customized Equipment Coverage?


Customized equipment coverage is appropriate for you if your vehicle has permanently installed custom parts or equipment, other than that installed by the original manufacturer.Customized equipment coverage can’t be purchased unless you have comprehensive and collision coverage as well.


Items covered under customized equipment include:


This type of protection can vary from company to company, so make sure the car insurance company you purchase insurance from covers exactly the customized equipment on your car, truck, or van.


What Is Loan/Lease Gap Coverage?


Loan/lease gap car insurance coverage will provide you with protection if your car gets damaged. It will reimburse you for the difference between the actual cash value of your car at the time of the loss, minus your deductible, or any greater amount owed on your car at the time your car was damaged, less any unpaid finance charges, excess mileage expenses, etc.


In other words, it covers the difference between the car’s actual value and the amount of your loan or lease. Loan/lease gap coverage is normally only available if you have comprehensive and collision insurance on your car insurance policy as well.


Compare MN Auto Insurance
Policies Side By Side!


You can receive multiple quotes from leading MN car insurance companies fast and easy by using our FREE Minnesota Car Insurance Quote tool!


Start shopping for Minnesota car insurance now!